How Can I Bring My Spouse From Abroad To Live And Work In The US?

If you are a U.S. citizen or a green card holder whose wife or husband is in another country, and you want to bring them to live with you here, you will need to “establish a relationship between you and your relative that qualifies them to immigrate to the United States,” according to the United States Citizenship And Immigration Services (USCIS).

The Process In A Nutshell

USCIS accepts petitions for eligibility for a green card for a noncitizen spouse of a citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) who is not yet in the U.S.

Be careful: Your petition might be denied if you submit incomplete or inaccurate information, miss deadlines or submit the wrong fees. The safest approach is to work closely with an immigration lawyer who has a strong track record. Jason Karavias, Esq. has helped many U.S. citizens and green card holders bring their spouses to the U.S. I also advise those whose spouses are already in the U.S.

Once USCIS approves the petition, your spouse may apply for an immigrant visa with the U.S. Department of State at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their country by way of Consular Processing.

If you have been married less than two years when your spouse is granted LPR status, he or she will receive that status on a conditional basis. You should apply for removal of the conditions within 90 days of the conditional green card’s expiration date.

Please note: No statement on this website or any website should be considered legal advice and does not constitute a guarantee of any kind. Unique factors may affect a petition for eligibility or an application for a green card for your spouse who is abroad. For best results, work with an experienced immigration lawyer.

How To Get Started On Applying For Green Card Status For A Spouse Abroad

I am attorney Jason Karavias, Esq., Attorney at Law and I understand how important it is to you to get on with your life, together with your spouse in the U.S. Most of my law practice is dedicated to family immigration issues.

To schedule a free initial consultation, call 412-223-7924 or send me an email message. From my law office in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, I assist clients in many other locations.