What paperwork do you need to get a fiancé(e) or K-1 visa?

On Behalf of | Oct 23, 2020 | Family Immigration

The idea of a fiancé(e) visa has lent itself to fiction of all sorts for many years. The prevalence of books and movies that play off of the trope of a contract marriage intended to secure one party’s entrance into the United States might make you think that such things happen all the time. In reality, such situations are exceptionally rare.

However, the cultural ubiquity of this idea has led to a lot of scrutiny for those hoping to bring a fiancé(e) into the United States. In order to qualify for a fiancé(e) or K-1 visa, you and your intended are going to have to not only fill out government paperwork but provide a catalog of documentation in order to get the necessary visa and bring your fiancé(e) into the country.

What specific paperwork and documents does your application require?

Both the American citizen and the foreign citizen they want to marry will need to submit significant amounts of documentation to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The required documents include:

  • Records from a medical exam
  • Evidence of personal income or other financial support
  • A birth certificate
  • A death or divorce certificate if either party was previously married
  • A valid passport police
  • Certificates from countries where you have lived for more than six months since the age of 16
  • Two 2×2 photographs
  • Form DS-160
  • Payment of fees

You will also need to provide documentation of an authentic relationship with you, and documentation about your relationship can be a stumbling block in some cases.

What qualifies as documentation of your relationship?

Depending on how you met each other and your previous relationship history, your relationship documentation could range from letters and emails that you’ve exchanged to travel records and social media posts that show you spending time together.

Written statements from family and friends who know about your relationship and even a public post on your social media page where dozens of people congratulated you on your engagement are all sources of evidence that your relationship is legitimate and something that you share with other people.

If you worry about having the right paperwork for documentation to bring your fiancé(e) into the United States, talking about your relationship and your plans with an experienced immigration attorney can help set you up for success.