Information And Guidance For Green Card Petitions

Filing a green card petition for a spouse or another family member may enable your loved one to legally work and reside in the United States. I am Jason Karavias, Esq., an experienced and respected Pittsburgh green card marriage attorney. I have been practicing law for two decades.

Whether your spouse, parent, child or sibling is in or out of the country, I can assist you. I can answer your family immigration questions and determine whether your relative is eligible for adjustment of status within the United States. I will apply my knowledge to the process of obtaining a green card for your relative as efficiently and quickly as possible. I am committed to helping your family remain together.

Green Card Marriage Processing Inside The United States – Adjustment Of Status

Certain relatives of U.S. citizens, including spouses, are eligible to apply for a green card while inside the United States. A petition establishing that your marriage is bona fide must be submitted, along with an application for adjustment of status establishing that your spouse meets various eligibility requirements. I will be there for you throughout the entire process, especially helping you prepare for the adjustment of status interview with the immigration officer.

Green Card Marriage Processing Outside The United States – Consular Processing

In the event that your spouse or another family member lives outside the United States, I will work toward helping you petition for your relative to obtain U.S. permanent residence. I will guide you through each step of the process, including filing the visa application and documentation with the National Visa Center, and preparing your spouse or relative for their interview at the appropriate U.S. consulate or embassy.

Green Card For Relatives

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the United States:

  • Husband or wife
  • Son or daughter
  • Brother or sister, if you are at least 21 years old
  • Parent, if you are at least 21 years old

A lawful permanent resident may petition for a husband or wife, or unmarried son or daughter of any age.

The relative you wish to immigrate must obtain an immigrant visa number based upon the preference category in which they fall. People desiring to be immigrants are classified into categories based on a preference system. The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, including parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21, do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number to become available once there is approval of the visa petition.

Other relatives must wait for an immigrant visa number to become available according to the following preferences:

  • First preference: Unmarried children 21 years or older of U.S. citizens
  • Second preference: Spouses and unmarried children of permanent residents
  • Third preference: Married children of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth preference: Sisters and brothers of adult U.S. citizens

I can handle such matters for you in a timely and cost-effective manner. If there is another way to bring your relative to live and work in the U.S., I will inform you of your options and advise you on the most expedient method.

Contact My Law Office Today

To discuss your green card legal needs with a lawyer in greater detail, please call Jason Karavias, Esq., in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, at 412-223-7924. You can also contact me online to set up a free initial consultation.