What records do you need for a K or fiancé(e)visa interview?

On Behalf of | Jun 24, 2020 | Family Immigration

Many applicants requesting a visa to enter the United States will have to go through an interview as part of the application process. That rule applies not just to those seeking a work-related nonimmigrant visa but also those seeking to enter the country due to their relationship with an American citizen or permanent resident.

The K-1 Visa, also known as the fiancé(e) visa, allows an American citizen to bring their fiancé(e) into the country shortly prior to their marriage. The fiancé(e) hoping to enter the United States will  have to complete an interview. During the interview process, it is necessary to provide certain documentation to the officials conducting the interview.

What paperwork do you need in order to complete a fiancé(e) visa interview?

The paperwork that you must bring to the interview will help to substantiate your eligibility for a visa. Those documents will include:

  • A valid passport
  • An official copy of your birth certificate
  • Form DS-160
  • Documentation for divorces or deaths that ended previous marriages
  • Police certificates about your criminal background from every country you’ve lived in for six months or more since the age of 16
  • Documentation from a medical exam
  • Two 2”x2” photographs
  • Money to cover fees

All of these will be necessary to complete the interview and potentially become eligible for a visa.

You will also need evidence about your relationship

In addition to verifying information about you as an individual, the interview will also touch on your relationship with your fiance. It is common for interviewers to ask about the scope and duration of the relationship and request evidence. You could provide pictures, copies of letters you’ve exchanged, documentation from social media and even statements from others familiar with your relationship.

Navigating the process of securing a K-1 visa often requires planning and support, but with the right evidence and paperwork, entering the country to finally get married may soon be an option.