Can you bring your fiance into the United States with a visa?

On Behalf of | May 17, 2020 | Family Immigration

Love has a way of connecting people in unexpected ways. You may not have expected to fall in love while traveling for vacation, serving in the military or working abroad. Yet, that’s exactly what happened.

Unfortunately, your time overseas eventually ended, meaning you wound up separated from the person you love. At that point, it may become necessary for the two of you to make a decision. Does your relationship end because of the distance between you, or do you want to take it to the next level?

If the two of you decide to get married, it may be possible for you to secure a fiancé(e) visa to bring your partner into the United States as a K-1 non-immigrant.

What are the qualifications for a fiancé(e) visa?

In order to bring someone into the United States as someone you intend to marry, the day that they enter must be within 90 days of the date that you intend to get married. Additionally, they will have to pass a background check, and the two of you will need to demonstrate the validity of your relationship.

Other people corroborating your relationship story, a digital footprint of the two of you falling in love shared on social media and even letters you’ve exchanged since separating could all help demonstrate that your relationship is real and not just a ruse to secure entry into the United States. You need to have seen one another in person at least once in the two years prior to your application.

If your situation meets all these criteria, you may be ready to ask for a fiancé(e) visa and start your new life with the person you love.